Thursday, September 22, 2005

This brief and lasting season

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Autumn Poised

Noon bells wait until I have paper and pen
to say this will be the last poem to peal
in this summer of O’Five. Poets everywhere
are doing this. It’s expected of us to do so.
We are scratching symbols onto paper in
common languages that cause metaphor to have
its brief and lasting season in the mind and heart.

I am no different.

As I was a boy enamored by my own words, so
am I still that callow man in my fifty-third year.
I have grown a beard for the first time in a decade
to mark the merest difference in this sleighted moment.

From the distance, as bells cease their timid churchings,
the whistle of a steam locomotive bellows waterfire
to the furnace that hangs midday over the end of summer.

This is a time for dying things.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A thousand thousand poets write in agreement.
Leaf, change, color, harvest, scent, wind, cold,
light, gather, warmth, store, soon, snow, coming.
Common words for common seasons.

I hear dirges in limbs of tree blood. I see birds
shift before things invisible. Something is coming.
I feel rivers wither in a weep of rain. I taste desert
yearning to return to sea. Something is arriving.
I sense poets steeped in a cupping of what they
cannot sip. We surrender to all we cannot hold back.

Something is here.


Joseph Gallo
September 22, 2005

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous parried...

Outstanding, J. Really enjoyed this one. (Especially liked "I feel rivers wither in a weep of rain." Wow.)--Ryan

September 25, 2005 10:50 PM  
Blogger Marit Cooper parried...

I do feel there is something very rich in your poetry, spicy, textured, like something I would like to eat... pumpkin soup with freshly baked bread straight from the oven, lots of butter... it has a nice crust to it.

September 26, 2005 4:00 AM  
Blogger edieraye parried...

Where are the visuals from? Did you do them yourself? They are OUTSTANDING. Really enhance the words and works of art in their own right.

September 26, 2005 7:19 AM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo parried...

Thank you all for your wonderful and delicious comments. Aside from a few exceptions, all photographic and art images on Drachenthrax are my own. I strive to make them enhance the text and hope that you like them. ;-)

September 26, 2005 5:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown parried...

Beautiful, Joseph. And very true. I feel myself drawn to digging in as October comes, to the perspective of the roots of things.

September 26, 2005 11:52 PM  
Blogger Marit Cooper parried...

Joel said to say Hi! so I did :-D

September 28, 2005 11:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle parried...

Wow.

The intimate dance of word and image leaves one longing for more.

October 12, 2005 5:04 PM  
Blogger S.A.M. Tanner parried...

As usual Joe... I am impressed with you as a wordsmith...

Come and play the days away upon this beach of gold...

October 16, 2005 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home