Thursday, July 01, 2010

Beyond where june slid down

Photobucket

July Walks In

puts her hands on her hips and
cocks her head. “I’ve brought
you sun, salt-sweetness from
the sea, a gentle something
to move your blinds a little.”

I look at her and there is a
familiar recognition we share
for a split atomic moment.
“Thank you,” I say not
knowing what else she might
suddenly ask or offer.

Photobucket

“Is the roadrunner mine as
well?” I continue meekly.
But she does not answer.
She’s already left her terse
reply on the other side of my
open window—in quailtwitter
and mockingbird squeech,
in the sunned rumps of
darting rabbits and the flat
meander of the blue channel
beyond where June slid down
the hillside to drown in days
gone by, never again to be seen.

Roadrunner sets his wings on
his hips and clurks, “Well,
what are we waiting for?”
I step out and everything I
know has been resummered.

Joseph Gallo
July 1, 2010


Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown parried...

Wow. Nice. You have found your allies and familiars. Grounds for gratitude.

July 03, 2010 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Fanny parried...

Great way to welcome summer. Hope you are doing well Joe. Life is good on this end. Rewrites are pain in the butt. But necessary. I'll keep you posted about the show.

July 07, 2010 9:36 PM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo parried...

Kyle: Allies & familiars. Nice thought, that. Though I doubt they would claim me, necessarily. ;-)

Fanny: Please do remember to let me know. Onward toward completion: "The play's the thing!" :-}

July 08, 2010 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home