Thursday, August 11, 2011

Worlds beyond this one

Photobucket
Wind From The Sea (Detail) by Andrew Wyeth

Mostly Nothing

Being mostly nothing, I might attest to my time as such.
There were lofty shadows, the lacework afternoon
moving in curtains before an open window above me,
a feel of mother that has never left me in my need
for shelter and comfort found perfectly in a woman.

There were footsteps and misadventures in locomotion,
the fevered spinning set to bones at play, voices
sealing skies forever in a memory of ears and eyes,
weathers without name, days without purpose beyond
getting to the next and the thousands that follow that.

Look at me now, a year from sixty and already marked
by weariness of worlds beyond this one, scourged and
sainted in pressings of flesh well-forgotten and missed,
so dearly missed. Mostly nothing allows for this space,
to come at last to some embrace of mostly what I am not.

Joseph Gallo
August 11, 2011


Photobucket
Helga (Detail) by Andrew Wyeth

4 Comments:

Blogger Jan parried...

Very nice. Brevity laden with so much depth and the artwork accentuates it all.

August 13, 2011 10:06 AM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo parried...

Thanks, Jan. I should mention that I did enhance the artwork, recropped, added some minor elements, here and there. For the record.

August 14, 2011 11:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown parried...

Thank you Joseph. I love the Wyeth you choose and your personal insights and personal experiences w/in your life. I think that last quote by T. S. Eliot is most appropriate for me to bring up after thinking about your past condition, which may also be a part of your current condition ... being that years have passed and I sense that certain memories and longings linger.

July 16, 2022 10:11 PM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo parried...

Dear Unknown: If you should ever read this, thank you. Thank you writing to me even if it has taken me months to see your comment. Hugs to you, deep hugs from the girth of life.

December 14, 2022 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home