Sunday, August 17, 2008

Always contemplating something

Photobucket

I Gave A Cigarette To God

I gave a cigarette to God.
He lit it and fell silent.
He always appears to be contemplating something.

Smoke rose from his mouth in a chain of holy ghosts.
The setting sun pierced crucifixes of light in the temples
of his eyes.
His altared hair blazed radiation.

Slowly, His back turned toward me.
He did nothing but smoke.
The cigarette never shortened.

Photobucket

After some time the sun still hadn’t fallen from the sky.
The same birds crossed and recrossed our line of sight.
The same clouds passed and passed again.

He was in no hurry whatsoever.
Days went by until finally I understood the eloquence.
Enlightenment comes when one meets his inner fool.

Joseph Gallo
July 18, 2004


Photobucket

2 Comments:

Blogger tom parried...

Hi,
had about a paragraph, then it cancelled it when I had not signed up yet...

Anywhoo, good e-talking with you!
Good stuff!
trekhead
Tom

August 19, 2008 4:14 AM  
Blogger Jonice parried...

Enlightenment comes when one meets his inner fool.

Loved this, Joseph! And loved the rythym of your singing to a smoking God. Lovely pictures! The first one just gorgeous,isn't it?

My dear, I have not forgotten that I owe you a small letter concerning the literary help I've asked from you. Please, forgive my delay, I'll make up for it as soon as things get a bit less hectic.

Beijinho pra você :)

August 20, 2008 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home