Friday, December 16, 2011

On that very day

Photobucket

If I Die On A Monday

If I die on a Monday, make sure
you’ve got enough groceries for the week.

If I die on a Tuesday, make sure
no one mentions I was born on that very day.

If I die on a Wednesday, make sure
you put the trash out on the curb by nine.

If I die on a Thursday, make sure
that little ficus on the patio gets enough water.

If I die on a Friday, wish everyone
in the office a great weekend for me anyway.

If I die on a Saturday, please don’t
be too upset if the lawn doesn’t get mowed.

If I die on a Sunday, think of me
when you drive by that little church I never went in.

Joseph Gallo
December 16, 2011


Photobucket

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown parried...

Wow, Joseph, you really went there with this one. This is what I call digging in, revealing the real relevance of metaphor, by finding the place to which each thread unravels. I like it.

December 19, 2011 12:28 AM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo parried...

And here I just thought it was a little poem about something or other. Thanks for opening my eyes, my brother.

Seriously---you know how it is to make that space between words and lines so that something you weren't sure was possible, or even there, emerge. As much as we say, it is what we don't that makes all the difference. It's what I like about your work as well.

Peace, amigo.

December 19, 2011 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home