Monday, May 07, 2007

All that can claim this day

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Day Gone Now

The day gone now, the sun hushing in the west.
All that can claim this day for triumph has been
lain to waste and its vanquished soldiers buried
in the dusk. Did you ride a fleet of blue horses, set
their manes afire with speed and forested concourse?
Did you stroll the evening lakeside, search dark
waters for unreflectable meanings in the shallows?


There are pans and plates hissing with the night’s
imminent nourishment and your lips are pursed to
impart them. They will not meet mine and I will go
this whole day on this side of the world without.
No matter that I may eat red berries in the morning
and black ones at sunfall, spring will not confer a
succulence sufficient as can be found in the vintage of
your lips with their bursting press of sugar and youth.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As clouds gather at the feet of the settled dragon, windows
find closing and drapes embrace what light may be found
in a set candle. Sigh and suppered rest remove boots trodden
with fields and all the mudded wonders that travel a single day.

This is what we live for. One can walk the quieting streets
and feel communion behind unbolted doors, hearth-gathering
in the human family, tales and sagas yet to be recounted
and lived. I hope this day has been for you what any day
can be, filled with the love of and for another, graced
with lasting measures of music and whisper, respite from
the seemingly endless bearing of unchampionable yokes.

My day yet lies before me, the hill crested with pennants
that have claimed neither victory nor defeat, blank as
church glass at midnight. I will move out into it and feel
the ground move about the sun, a sun that has left your
eyes to wear down my shoulders, to insist I carry it gladly
through the long suffering sky with courage and the lack of it.

I will do this because, like you, I can do nothing less
than live on to give this day my unspoken name
.

Joseph Gallo
May 6, 2007


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown parried...

A soft and lovely piece, Joseph. And I see you found a good place for your unchampionable yokes. ;-)

May 07, 2007 11:46 PM  
Blogger Joni parried...

A beautiful tribute. Lovely.

May 09, 2007 5:04 AM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo parried...

Thanks for stopping to read and for your comments Kyle & Joni.

Yeah, Kyle, I found it worked well there and thought there was no sense leaving such an unbridled allusion lying around being of no use. It fit the equine theme, hence: Voila!
Thanks to you for spurring it out!
;-)

May 10, 2007 4:02 PM  
Blogger name of the rose parried...

the day slowly slipping into quiet night, dripping blue horse mysteries ... it's a very quiet mood you've conjured.


"Did you stroll the evening lakeside, search dark waters for unreflectable meanings in the shallows?"

... although I'm not the you of your writing, the answer is yes.

May 13, 2007 5:08 AM  
Blogger Mississippi Songbird parried...

Very nice..

May 18, 2007 10:03 AM  
Blogger billie parried...

Lovely, as usual. A wonderful treat to come here and see your latest offerings.

May 24, 2007 1:34 PM  
Blogger S.L. Corsua parried...

You're making someone out there swoon. ^_^ Loved it; the second stanza itself has won me over (it makes me want to say: it leaves an ache, an ache leaves me...) ^_^

So glad to be back here (I hibernate no more). Cheers.

May 26, 2007 7:04 AM  
Blogger Jonice parried...

I loved this!

June 03, 2007 8:15 AM  
Blogger Rax parried...

a journey through the vivid imagery leaves a still sadness in me and yet the ending makes me want to keep going.

just wonderful

June 03, 2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo parried...

Thanks to all who have left comments during my move back to my hometown of Santa Barbara. Please forgive my absence, but internet connection has been sparse.

Thank you all for your wonderfully kind comments! :-)

June 05, 2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger Seeker parried...

Cool. Smooth. Almost hypnotic --- so tell me more about who/what you sold your soul to, and why, and why you would withhold it after your regain/reshame?(poetically --- I'm no shrink!!):-)

July 08, 2007 3:34 AM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo parried...

Seeker: Whatever answers I might provide beyond what is written would merely serve to obfuscate the better answers you yourself can provide and imagine.

What have you sold your soul to and for and, in the overlay, what did you learn in doing so? And if you haven't, you've got to try harder to do so. ;-)

Thanks for visiting, asking, knowing already. :-)

July 09, 2007 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home