Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Come back from the living

Photobucket

I wonder if the artist ever lives his life — he is so busy recreating it. Only as I write do I realize myself. I don't know what that does to life. ~Anne Sexton


Ann With An E

For Anne Sexton

Here are stories that probably never happened,
this right life in a wrong time. Hold the tears
of a dying sun and tell me how you do it. Can
anyone know how you savor the oblique hips
of islands, the moist lips of clouds, the failure
you feel before it all, that perfect beautiful failure?

Photobucket

I miswrote your name, you know. It's Ann with
an e, so I had to go back. Life is one refix after
another. I don't know what this does to life but
to break it open for good so that all that goodness
tumbles out. The moon knows enough to make
this obvious to some. Six decades in the books
and, somehow, I've not gotten any better at this.

But I haven't ended it yet. I haven't not thrived in
the many ways life tries to take you out of its story.
Some of my life happened; some, did not. I can't
tell you which from which, only that I am not Lazarus
come back from the living to tell you nothing you
don't already know and may yet remember you do.

Joseph Gallo
November 10, 2011


Photobucket

2 Comments:

Blogger ani parried...

Ha ha, my name's the same, and when introducing myself, i sometimes say Anne with an e, and become known as such. In any case, still blown away by all these things, how you are Scorp'o, love Art, Writing, Music, Poetry, Photography, all "me too"s , the depth of your seeking to feel and understand these things, by nature! How familiar. Thanks again,
AnnE

January 25, 2012 8:27 PM  
Blogger Joseph Gallo parried...

Anniebird, thanks, hon. Nice to meet you and please do visit often. Share something with me in 2012!

We Scorps rock, don't we? Ciao, bella Anne.

~j~

January 25, 2012 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home